Are you all ready for hockey season?
- We’ll lead things off with Rush Limbaugh, who has now said that if only John Lewis and his fellow civil rights leaders had been armed, then the incidents at Selma wouldn’t have happened. No, seriously.
Try this. If a lot of African-Americans back in the ’60s had guns and the legal right to use them for self-defense, you think they would have needed Selma? I don’t know, I’m just asking. If John Lewis, who says he was beat upside the head, if John Lewis had had a gun, would he have been beat upside the head on the bridge? Anyway, that’s what we’re — and these people that think like Brokaw are all over the media. This is the way they’re looking at this.
I’ll believe Rush Limbaugh wants to see more black people armed the day he says that Trayvone Martin could have defended himself if he had been armed. But that has never happened. Limbaugh, in fact, spent his coverage of that tragedy only centered around defending his killer for being “overzealous.”
- Yes, I had a heart attack. For those of you interested in what it felt like, sign and symptoms, here’s the actual post written while I was having the attack. — DS
- Things like this should never happen:
A homeless man in Chicago was choked to death for shoplifting a tube of toothpaste from a CVS store. Video footage released Thursday of the May incident by DNAInfo shows the store’s manager Pedro Villanova chasing the man, 35-year-old Anthony Kyser, into an alley, pinning him to the ground and throttling him until his body goes limp.
How on earth can a tube of toothpaste be worth strangling someone to death with your bare hands?
- Gun appreciation day, sponsored by white supremacists:
Firearms enthusiasts around the country are being encouraged to head down to their local gun shops on Saturday, constitutions and American flags in hand, to send a message to President Barack Obama about Second Amendment rights — and, of course, to buy more guns.
The event is being billed as Gun Appreciation Day and has backing from white supremacist group American Third Position (A3P), Media Matters reported on Friday.
A3P, which is listed on the Gun Appreciation Day website as a sponsor, does little through its own content to veil the fact that the political movement is dedicated to white supremacy.
So, how does that reconcile with Rush Limbaugh’s claim that the civil rights movement should have been armed? Oh, wait, my mistake. Did I just ask for consistency from Rush?
- The Daily Best ran an anti-vaccine screed. The deaths that result from this are on their heads, as far as I’m concerned.
- SPIDERS! First, here’s a video of a new spider species that makes decoys. Second, here are some extraordinary pictures and video of of the Peacock Spider in Australia, the male of which puts on an elaborate courtship display with its beautifully colored abdomen.
- And this weekend, no thread would be complete without some mention of the faux-girlfriend incident at Notre Dame. So here you go.